Sunday, September 9, 2012

Anatomy

Show me a parent who looks forward to discussing anatomy with their child and I'll show you a liar.  Haha.  I was one of those parents.  Sure that when the questions came that I would be diplomatic, honest, and encourage the curiosity filled questions of "where do babies come from?", "why doesn't mommy look like me?", etc.

And then that day comes.  You are hit with the barrage of questions, and it will inevitably catch you off guard.  You think that you will be sitting peacefully at home, just you and your children, playing innocently before you have to deal with the questions.  But, nope, they wait to ask you.  

You're walking through the grocery store, surrounded by other patrons because today was pay day and everyone is at the store shopping, and then it comes.  "Mom, why do I have a peepee?"  Everyone turns to stare at you, waiting for your response.  "Because you are a boy honey."

Whew, you think you saved yourself.  Then another.  "Mommy, why is your peepee broken?"  

At this point, you realize there is no salvation, you drop your shopping list, leave your cart, pick up the curious little boy and run out of the store, not even daring to look back.  Off to a new store, maybe we can stop the barrage of questions in the car before we get to the new store where no one knows.  But no, once you're alone in the car with your curious child the questions stop.  This gives you a false sense of hope.  And then you enter the new store, again crowded, only to have the barrage of anatomy questions return.

Now, both C-Man are Mar-Mar are very aware of the correct scientific terminology for their anatomical parts.  I was worried about confusion, as any new age mother seems to be.  Why I was worried, I have no idea why.  This makes the curious questions in public seem that more traumatizing.

I'm using the term "peepee" merely for the simple fact that this is a family blog.  So, I would like to keep it family friendly.

Today's question from my very anatomical curious C-Man..."Mommy, does C-Man, Dawson, and daddy have a peepee because we boys, and mommy, Mar-Mar, and Sadie's peepee broken because you a girl?  But why mom?  Why your peepee broke off?"

Dawson happens to be our 6 year old black lab/pitt bull mix who is in fact a male dog, and Sadie happens to be our very female 13 year old Great Dane.

I encourage C-Man's curiosity, however, today I am glad the anatomy lesson was done in the privacy of our own home.  I am not usually that lucky.  But, no matter how you refer to your child's anatomy, the questions, they will come.  And they will most definitely come at the most inopportune and most embarrassing time.

Tell me your embarrassing anatomy lesson with your children.   

No comments:

Post a Comment