Monday, September 10, 2012

Sarah...You Are A Beautiful Woman

As promised, the Beautiful Woman Campaign continues.  Here is Sarah's story, as told by her.  Thank you Sarah for sharing your story.  You are an inspiration to all beautiful women. 

I encourage all beautiful women to send me your stories of how you overcame your insecurities.  You can send your stories to me at kjarrait@gmail.com.  You are more than welcome to add a picture as well, or you can just send your story with no pictures.  If you would like to remain anonymous, let me know what you would like your pseudo name to be.

The Beautiful Woman Campaign is meant for inspiration and enlightenment to all women.  We don't have to fit in societies cookie cutter image of what a beautiful and perfect woman is.  We are beautiful just the way we are.  So, please, no negative comments, only positive.  Thank you.

Sarah's Story:

I can remember beginning to think I was "fat" by the time I was maybe nine or ten.  Not that anyone had ever told me flat out or had I ever been teased about it in school.  I just noticed that I was always the biggest kid in my class and could never fit into my friend's clothes.  I was also the tallest kid y age for the longest tie, having reached my final height by middle school.  Luckily I was blessed with fantastic parents that focused on my talents than my appearance.  They always bragged about my grades, how well I did in sports, and all my extra curricular activities.

Unfortunately, we celebrated any occasion with food.  Every holiday, school function, birthday, etc. was followed by a phenomenal feast.  As unhealthy as I was, my overweight size never prevented me from having a happy upbringing.  In middle and high school I was quite popular.  I always had boyfriends, was invited to parties, had lots of friends, all the things stereotypically granted to the skinny girls.  It was during middle school I really began to accept being a "big" girl.  I learned than a confidence that has served me well through my whole life, because, hey, being fat hasn't stopped me from having a really great time!

By high school I had thinned out a bit, but also by then the boys had finally started to catch up.  I remember high school as a total blast, I never felt I was judged by my size or looks.

It was during that time I met who would be my future husband, five years older than me, at a local coffee shop.  I had an immediate crush, but I thought he was too old and cute to be interested in some chubby kid.  But fate drew us closer, so after graduation I went off to Oregon with him after only four months together.  His love has been my backbone since the day we proclaimed it.  It's a comfort to know that I have this wonderful, handsome man, and if I was perfect for him, than I must be perfect.

Now that I am in control of my own diet and exercise I have really come to peace with my body and self image.  I see the woman I want to see in the mirror.  Now I face the challenge of passing this confidence and acceptance to my daughter when it's her time to deal with her own body issues.  But I have faith she will learn it just by watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment