Saturday, September 8, 2012

Momster's Best Friend

For many years I loathed coffee.  I didn't drink it and had no desire to.  And since I nursed both of my children, I reasoned that it was a good thing that I didn't drink that extra caffeine in coffee.

But, what can I say, I am just like any other mom, and I get down right exhausted.  Pac-Man doesn't drink any coffee.  He doesn't love the caffeine the way I do.  So, when I entered the world of coffee drinkers for the first time, we invested in Keurig.

I am in love!!  I'm going to go ahead and say it right now, if you drink more than 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day...DO NOT buy a Keurig.  However, if all you're drinking is 1-2 cups a day, then a Keurig might not be a bad investment.





The cost of the k-cups can be very intimidating for the Keurig.  There is a simple solution.  A Keurig Coffee Re-usable Filter.  

I don't know about where you are, but k-cups in my area cost $8.99 for a box of 12.  I can get almost 2 weeks worth of coffee if I only limit myself to 1 cup of coffee a day.  But, let's face it, I'm a mom, and I have two wild children.  Add in the fact that I drive 30 minutes every day to take C-Man to school, putting me up at 5am, sometimes a girl just needs more than 1 cup of coffee.

And, I'm in Vermont.  So, Green Mountain Coffee (my favorite brand of coffee) is readily available.  And, at $8.99 I can get a 12 oz bag of Green Mountain Coffee for the same cost as a 12-ct box of k-cups for my Keurig.  I end up saving money by using the add on filter.  The money I save on a bag of ground coffee as opposed to buying k-cups each week outweighs the extra cost of the filter.

Now, if you're a full pot of coffee kind of girl (or guy, cause you know, dad's can be reading this too), then I would go with a pot coffee maker, like Mr. Coffee has to offer.  I haven't used this particular coffee pot...but I've never known Mr. Coffee to disappoint.

What say you?  How do you muddle through the day?  Are you a coffee drinker?  What is your experience with the Keurig?  Or are you a Mr. Coffee kind of drinker instead?

1 comment:

  1. Love love love our Keurig! We are definatley a 1c a day house. I love having different flavor choices to play with and I love the different drink options (brew over ice, apple cider, hot chocolate, TONS of coffee flavors). I think we will invest in the add in filter this year. There are weekends we'd like fresh ground or for when my mom babysits, she drinks multiple cups a day. My only complaint is cleaning...it's a PAIN!

    ReplyDelete